I learnt how unimaginably vast Hindu scripture is. I disagree with a lot of it - but the vastness of whats out there is hard to comprehend.
First thing, whatever I have learnt from here is positive only & I mean it. Whatever I have learnt from this site other than scriptural knowledge is being enumerated below. Will be keep continuing. Since, these are my own experiences which are constructive and helpful to me they ought not be reproached.
- I learnt whatever mind touches, it makes into an object of pleasure; while in background it continues to flourish. Like there are other objects of pleasure which excite mind like films,songs etc so religion in its crude sense can also become an object of pleasure then scriptures or scriptural content becomes object of mental pleasures which excites the mind.
- There is only one way to be non-sectarian or non-dogmatic & that is to indwell in the state of no-mind. The very nature of thought is to separate one from another. Even if you blabber - 'You are Brahman', you are being dogmatic and sectarian in believing one is same as Brahman. It is no different than believing you are not Brahman. So, end of mind is the ending of dogmaticism not otherwise.
- The word 'God' is not sacred. whatever mind creates can't be sacred. The product of mind which is thought can never be sacred. It is invariably divisive & the idea of 'God' is also a thought however glorified it is.
- Knowledge comes from scriptures but wisdom never comes from scriptures. Understanding of contradictions is the beginning of wisdom.
- Love doesn't come from scriptures nor from the idea of 'God'.
- Love or devotion comes when the mind as a source is understood not from the romanticising with an idea of 'God'.
- Compassion, love, devotion etc are ubiquitous & quality of 'beingness'.
- One can have virtue, love, compassion, fearlessness, etc without any need of external agency.
These are few among many I have learnt from here. But these are my own experiences and learnt material, don't necessarily be true for others.
- Most importantly I learnt to question authenticity of scriptures by seeing good research oriented questions here.
So, in a nutshell, I have been learning a lot from this site. Also, the question answers database lurking hereon is outstanding endowed with proper scriptural references.
When I joined this site I was having some technical queries/doubts and I mistook this site as a panel of experts who are capable of answering such queries.
But I did not take much time to realize that that was not the case.
So, to be very frank, so far, I have not learned anything NEW from this site ... By NEW I mean something spectacularly new about the religion which I consider worthy of knowing or which I am interested in knowing or which has changed my way of thinking with regards to religious/spiritual matters ..
But I really like the question-answer discussions/sessions that we have here .. And this is without doubt the best site of it's kind.
I have learnt from this site
a) How much learned can some individuals be b) How much intelligent can some individuals be c) How much dedicated can some individuals be d) How much hard working can some individuals be 5)How inquisitive some individuals can be 6) How much kind can some individuals be.
I have really been very very enriched within few days visiting this wonderful site.
Unfortunately I also learnt
a) how shamfully dogmatic can some individuals be b) how foolish can few individuals be (like explaining our scriptures without basic knowledge of sanskrit c) how much full of cruelty and hatred very few individuals can be because of religion.
Above all this site has made it more clear to me:
"No one becomes wise by reading many books, only learning the two and half letters प्रेम (Love of God) alone makes a man wise. (kabir).
"learning of too much scriptures is useless. One has to attain devotion to God. Vultures fly high gazing at the filthy things (Sri Ramakrishna)
"The knowledge of the pundits is for Bhukti, not for Mukti" (Sri Adi Sankaracharyya)
May I always remember the three above sayings is my heart's prayer to God.
My sincere regards to all.